Thursday, November 15, 2012

Magic Woodland --- Early Work

Magic Woodland is an earlier work --- when i first started with encaustic I was excited (and still am) about the idea of painting on substrates which didn't need to be framed --- and I could go really freeform! I painted on acidfree, sealed 1/2 foamboard, since I could never achive a perfect (factory) cut - I just went all out using a box cutter - My theory was: destroy and create! I chisled the edges, plastered and sealed them - the edges started to look like genuine plasterboard - I did a show to introduce my new style of painting and a guy came by and said: "hey cool you are painting on sheet rock ---- " But the best thing yet was and is - that the paintings are all very light weight! - Anyway a friend told me to go and approach a certain gallery --- Gallery paintings have to be square or rectangle ---- I got the message...... I still like this idea - but in the meantime I started to paint on canvas and artists artboard and my favorite thin gessoed plywood! -
Magic Woodland found a wonderful home...............................

No comments:

Post a Comment